Wednesday 29 October 2008

Recuperating in Melbourne

I had been going through what could be the roughest time of my life and so I jumped (probably even pounced) at the opportunity of extending my stay in Melbourne. Just so I could lick my wounds a little.

The city surprised me in that it proved to be the perfect place for rejuvenation, and I have 4 solid arguments for that:

1.
Excellent retail therapy

You'd want to watch out for signs like these that screams "shop til you drop". There is one along Spencer St. (at the end of Bourke St, Melbourne Central Business District i.e. within the city centre) and it served to be my one-stop shopping paradise. Different people shop differently and I love effortless shopping. Here, all the high street shops are lined up for me in one building, the stuff are so cheap and yet I don't have to actively bargain.

Another great place to venture to would be Brunswick St (Carton & Fitzroy suburb - just a little North of Melbourne CBD).

This place is so edgy, colourful and refreshing that even merely window shopping could give you the same amount of pleasure.

Needless to say, I enjoyed looking out for quirky benches...

...graffiti and stencilled art at every unsuspecting corner.

2. An Abundance of Food for the Soul

The variety, the piquant freshness, the hearty portions, the variety, the creativity, the flavours...and did I mention the variety? Please read Tried and Tested Melbourne for more.

The selection of fruits and vegetables and meat and fish at Queen Victoria Market was really inviting. Perhaps people who would compare it with the fisherman's wharf at Sydney or San Fran would be disappointed, but it has its merits. Besides, the 4 mangoes we purchased from there certainly proved a point with its bursting juiciness and fragrance. So I'm well convinced.

And don't get me started on comfort food.

3. Unique Bookshops


Bookshops and libraries are my hideaways ever since I was a kid. The smell of newly printed paper is for me the smell of comfort. And what better place to hide where there are hundreds of books in languages that you could never have imagined. At 259 Collin's St (Melbourne CBD), there stands a shrine that stocks 125 languages and gives diversity a whole new meaning.

At 235 Gertrude St, Books for Cooks! And in it a plush sofa for your browsing leisure.

4. Beauty - The city reminds me that there is just so much of that to capture.

When I'm standing atop the 88th level of the Eureka building, taking in the fantastic view;

or when I'm taking a breather close to nature at one of the many parks and green spaces within the city;

the buildings...

...the people...

...all made me feel alive. And I end this piece with my favourite quote found on a tissue paper that says "Better to have enjoyed and made a mess than to never have enjoyed at all." Kudos to that.



No comments: